Sunday, December 26, 2010

Exchange Distribution Groups with external email Contacts as member

Sometimes, as vendor I would need to receive important emails sent to end-users; stuff like subscription expiry notifications, licensing renewal etc. Usually these emails are sent to Distribution groups of the end-user's organization.
 
Short of having an email account in the end-user's organization, I would request for my (external) email to be included as a member of such Distribution group. Its pretty straightforward except for the caveat that by default Exchange sets external Contacts to only receive emails from Authenticated senders. This automatically bars email coming from external sources such as Principals, ISPs etc.
 
Following is the PS command for creating an imaginary end-user Distribution group 'Licensing' and adding my Contact 'me@gmail.com' into it as member.
New-MailContact -Name "me@gmail.com" -ExternalEmailAddress "me@gmail.com"

Set-MailContact "me@gmail.com" -RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled $False

New-DistributionGroup -Name "Licensing" Set-DistributionGroup "Licensing" -RequireSenderAuthenticationEnabled $false

Add-DistributionGroupMember "Licensing" -Member "me@gmail.com"





No comments: